The millicent rogers museum celebrates and shares
the arts and cultures of the southwest
Established as a memorial to Millicent Rogers whose inspiration, patronage and collections form the cores of its holdings.
Millicent Rogers (1902-1953) was the granddaughter of one of the original founders of Standard Oil, Henry Huttleston Rogers. She spent much of her life in Europe, but also lived in the United States. Drawn to Taos by the landscape and the history of the region, she assembled a stellar collection of Native American jewelry and textiles.
In Taos, Millicent Rogers lived in a remodeled adobe house. Today, her home remains the private property of the family. Due to rheumatic fever as a child of eight, she was often ill. Although she died young, her legacy of beauty lives on at the museum that bears her name.
The Millicent Rogers Museum first opened in temporary quarters on Ledoux Street in the mid-1950s. In the late 1960's, the Museum moved into its present home, a house built by Claude J. K. and Elizabeth Anderson and later donated to the Museum. The building was renovated and expanded in the mid-1980's by renowned architect Nathaniel A. Owings.
The Millicent Rogers Museum opened in 1956. Founded by Millicent Roger's family including the recently deceased Paul Peralta-Ramos, the Museum has become one of America's most important resources for the study of southwestern art and design. Today the museum is a public, nonprofit, educational institution, supported by its membership program and sponsors.
Read more about Millicent Rogers